Counting Crows - A Long December


A Long December

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"A Long December"
LongDecemberCC.jpg
Single by Counting Crows
from the album Recovering the Satellites
ReleasedDecember 1996
FormatCD single
RecordedThe Sound Factory, Hollywood, CA
GenreAlternative rock
Length4:57
LabelGeffen
Writer(s)David BrysonAdam DuritzCharlie GillinghamMatt MalleyBen MizeDan Vickrey.
Producer(s)Gil Norton
Counting Crows singles chronology
"Angels of the Silences"
(1996)
"A Long December"
(1996)
"Daylight Fading"
(1997)
"A Long December" is a song by American alternative rock band Counting Crows. It is the second single and thirteenth track from their second album, Recovering The Satellites (1996). The song peaked at number five on the U.S. Hot Modern Rock Tracks and #1 on the Canadian Singles Chart.[1]
Adam Duritz said about that song (from Storytellers): “In the middle of December of ‘95 my friend Jennifer got run over by a car, and just creamed; and I spent that whole month, while we were just beginning the record and most of Jan & Feb in the hospital, each like, morning and early afternoon then I’d go to the studio, the house where we were recording, and we’d play all afternoon and all night . It was a very weird time because ya know, there is a lot of stress ; not that it’s a big deal being a second album, but any album. They're just not that easy to make. It’s a very stressful process, and especially when you’re first starting out. And like I said, I spent a lot of time in the hospital which is pretty weird. But one day I just left the studio about 2 in the morning, and I went to my friend Samantha and Tracy’s house which is Hillside Manor; and uh.. That’s what we call it anyway, it’s just a little house and I sat there talking with them, I woke ‘em up, got ‘em out of bed and made ‘em talk to me for a couple hours, then I went home to my house. “And I wrote this song between about 4 and 6 and then went to the hospital the next day, and came to the house and I played it for the guys before dinner and … and taught it to them after dinner. And we played it about 6 or 7 times ..and .. do you remember which take number it was? Take number 6. We just stopped, that was it. We recorded the song, it was done. We all went in to the kitchen and had a cold beer, I grabbed Brad our engineer and ran back out about 5min later, had him play the tape three times, just recorded all the harmonies …and uh..we’ve never touched it since, that was it. It’s a completely live song except for the harmonies. “It’s a song about looking back on your life and seeing changes happening, and for once for me, looking forward and thinking… ya know…things are gonna change for the better ‘maybe this year will be better than the last’ and uh… and so, like a lot of songs on the end of album it’s not about everything turning out great, but it at least is about hope…and the possibilities …”
The video for the song featured Courteney Cox, whom frontman Adam Duritz had dated.

Contents

  [show

Track listing[edit]

All songs written by Duritz, except where noted
CD 1
  1. "A Long December" – 4:57
  2. "Ghost Train" (Live) – 5:53
  3. "Sullivan Street" (David Bryson and Duritz) (Live) – 5:29
CD 2
  1. "A Long December" – 4:57
  2. "A Murder of One" (Bryson, Duritz, and Matt Malley) (Live) – 14:57
Live tracks recorded at Elysée Montmartre, Paris, France on December 9, 1994

Charts[edit]

Chart (1996)Peak
position
Australia ARIA Singles Chart[2]86
Canadian RPM Singles Chart1[citation needed]
Canadian RPM Alternative 3017[citation needed]
UK Singles Chart[3]62
U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Airplay6[citation needed]
U.S. Billboard Top 40 Mainstream7[citation needed]
U.S. Billboard Adult Top 406[citation needed]
U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks5[citation needed]

No comments:

Post a Comment

1950

Related image
Al Morgan - Jealous Heart

Anton Karas - Theme De Harry Lime

Artie Shaw - Autumn Leaves

Bill Snyder - Bewitched

Billy Cotton - I've Got A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts

Bing Crosby - Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy - Single Version

Bing Crosby - Christmas In Killarney

Bing Crosby - Dear Hearts And Gentle People - Single Version

Bing Crosby - Mule Train

Bing Crosby;Gary Crosby - Sam's Song (The Happy Tune)

Danny Kaye - C'est Si Bon

Dinah Shore - Dear Hearts & Gentle People

Dinah Shore - Once in a While

Donald Peers - I Remember The Cornfields

Doris Day - Bewitched

Dorothy Squires - Snowy White Snow And Jingle Bells

Edmundo Ros - The Wedding Samba

Eileen Barton;The New Yorkers - If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd've Baked a Cake

Frank Sinatra - Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy

Frank Sinatra - If I Loved You

Gene Autry - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Geraldo & His Orchestra;Eve Boswell - Confidentially

Gordon Jenkins - My Foolish Heart

Guy Lombardo - Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think)

Guy Lombardo & His Orchestra - Hop Scotch Polka

Jo Stafford And Gordon MacRae - Dearie (From "The Copacabana Show of 1950")

Jo Stafford And Gordon MacRae - I'll String Along With You

Karen Chandler;Eve Young - Silver Dollar

Mel Blanc - I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat

Nat King Cole - Mona Lisa

Nat King Cole - Orange Colored Sky

Patti Page - Tennessee Waltz

Phil Harris - Is It True What They Say About Dixie

Phil Harris and His Orchestra - The Thing

Red Foley - Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy - 1949 Single Version

Robert Wilson - Down The Glen

Russ Morgan - Forever And Ever

Sammy Kaye - Harbor Lights

Steve Conway - Ashes of Roses

Steve Conway - My Foolish Heart

Teddy Johnson - Beloved Be Faithful

Tennessee Ernie Ford - Mule Train

Teresa Brewer - Music Music Music

The Ames Brothers - Rag Mop

The Ames Brothers - Sentimental Me

The Andrews Sisters - I Can Dream, Can't I?

The Ink Spots - You're Breaking My Heart

The Mills Brothers - Daddy's Little Girl

The Weavers - Goodnight Irene

The Weavers - Tzena, Tzena, Tzena

The Good Music Guide